Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 2, 2013 9:17 PM
#1

Offline
Jul 2011
1441
I'm curious as to how everyone was introduced to Ys. It's always been relatively unknown, both inside Japan and especially outside it.

For me, I got started at the age of 4 on the Sega Master System. Ys: The Vanished Omens was pretty much one of the first video games I had ever played, and I played it religiously. I owe it all to my older brother who was a huge gamer at the time, although he has long since outgrown it.

The stupid looking cover still makes me laugh to this day.


What about you guys?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 3, 2013 2:02 AM
#2

Offline
Oct 2009
1752
my first introduction was quite a few years ago when i visited a friend who had a bunch of retro systems (nes, snes, genesis, atari) and i looked through his genesis collection trying to find something to play. only games i can remember were Ys III: Wanderers from Ys and Valis. he showed me the final boss Demanicus, and i couldn't figure out what was going on, what with the rocks constantly flying across the screen. sadly to say, i was unimpressed since i wasn't really into 'old' rpgs, or maybe i wasn't into rpgs in general at the time. fast forward a few years when i was conscious of the creation of emulators that played genesis, snes, and so forth, i grabbed a copy of the game to check it out for myself since i was a fan of rpgs now. played through the game and loved it. ever since, i been a fan of the game and wanted more, but didn't get a taste of a 'new' game until i saw Ark of Napishtim for psp lol
Jan 3, 2013 5:30 AM
#3

Offline
Jul 2011
1441
Hayato_Matsuo said:
my first introduction was quite a few years ago when i visited a friend who had a bunch of retro systems (nes, snes, genesis, atari) and i looked through his genesis collection trying to find something to play. only games i can remember were Ys III: Wanderers from Ys and Valis. he showed me the final boss Demanicus, and i couldn't figure out what was going on, what with the rocks constantly flying across the screen. sadly to say, i was unimpressed since i wasn't really into 'old' rpgs, or maybe i wasn't into rpgs in general at the time. fast forward a few years when i was conscious of the creation of emulators that played genesis, snes, and so forth, i grabbed a copy of the game to check it out for myself since i was a fan of rpgs now. played through the game and loved it. ever since, i been a fan of the game and wanted more, but didn't get a taste of a 'new' game until i saw Ark of Napishtim for psp lol

Haha, that's really interesting. How long ago exactly was "quite a few years ago"? 4+ years? 8+ years? What made you get into the Ys series more than, say, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star or the likes? Or did you also play those as well?
Jan 8, 2013 2:21 AM
#4

Offline
Oct 2009
1752
i'd say 8+ years. i got into it when i was in middle school, and i'm 27 now, so you can imagine it was quite a long time. and i enjoy just about any rpg i can get my hands on, and Ys had a certain flair to it that got me into it
Jan 23, 2013 6:21 PM
#5

Offline
Aug 2011
2514
Yeah I came in late.
December 2010, I still remember it. Probably the crappiest days in my life, decided to get a new game and picked it up.
FUCKING LOVED IT. And from there on I got into Falcom in general, really wished I got into this series earlier.
Jan 23, 2013 7:33 PM
#6

Offline
Jul 2011
1441
NihonFalcom said:
Yeah I came in late.
December 2010, I still remember it. Probably the crappiest days in my life, decided to get a new game and picked it up.
FUCKING LOVED IT. And from there on I got into Falcom in general, really wished I got into this series earlier.

Which game did you pick up?
Jan 23, 2013 9:00 PM
#7

Offline
Aug 2011
2514
Oh forgot to mention that LOL
Seven, absolutely LOVE IT.

That said I still enjoy Oath, I and II Chronicles, and Origin, but Seven and Celceta are some of my faves.
Jan 27, 2013 11:36 AM
#8

Offline
Dec 2012
109
The 1st game i played was ark of napishtim for psp which i randomly found when i was on vacation in thailand lol like around 5 years back . Then when i played it i was instantly hooked and loved everything about it but considering where i live i can never get jrpg games so i didnt really get to play any of the other games for a while lol.
Aug 7, 2013 5:41 AM
#9
Offline
Feb 2010
31
I always loved fantasy, tales, myths, legends and ancient lands stories. When I found anime The Ancient Book of Ys I was sure I have to give it a shot. When I watched it for the first time I was completely thrown in another world. I laughed and cried, crossed my fingers and waited passionately what would happen. I played only one game, Oath in Felghana, but I feel strong bond with this serie and the entire story anyway. I watched the serie for the first time almost 4 years ago. Since then I rewatched both series a few times, don't remember how many, maybe once a year each time. But it is such an enormous excitement and a desire to get more of it every time. I even considered drawing my own fanmade manga. Recently I found fanfiction story and I might read it. I can say without hesitation that Adol is my favourite character, but the others are also great.
Aug 7, 2013 12:24 PM

Offline
Feb 2012
3771
Well, I'm a JRPG player and one day I just decided to try playing Oath in Felghana. Partially also because I've been searching for anime themed games I can find in steam. Origin is great too and I'm currently playing Chronicles+. I'll give Ark of Napishtim a try later too.
Aug 7, 2013 2:47 PM
Offline
Jul 2018
555862
One boring day I decided to listen to one of the arranged OST's on youtube for Innocent Primeval Breaker, I recalled a Tv Tropes page for Crowning Music of Awesome which one of them had Ys in it. I thought, oh wow this title only has 2 letters o_O, must be a super obscure game no one has ever heard of.

Then I became a follower...

NihonFalcom said:
Yeah I came in late.
December 2010, I still remember it. Probably the crappiest days in my life, decided to get a new game and picked it up.
FUCKING LOVED IT. And from there on I got into Falcom in general, really wished I got into this series earlier.


MAH NIGGA, that's the same year I picked up THE SAME Falcom game, 3 months before that very same month in fact :P
removed-userAug 7, 2013 2:53 PM
Jul 8, 2014 6:16 AM

Offline
Jun 2014
22621
I first got into Ys around 1994 when I first rented "Ys III: Wanderers from Ys" for the Sega Genesis. I loved that game, and the music was one of the greatest things I had ever heard.

I also own "Ys: The vanished Omens" on the Master System, and "Ys: Book I & II" for both the Turbografx-CD & the Nintendo DS. I also own the Turbografx-CD port of Ys III.

The Ys games always fascinated me, and so have many other games made by Falcom.

Oct 29, 2016 2:22 PM

Offline
Oct 2016
22
I saw Ys Origin on steam on sale. I was unsure whether it is good or bad so I tried the demo. Since then I bought all the Ys games from steam. Ys Origin is still one of my favourite games of all time.


Oct 29, 2023 4:03 PM
Offline
Jul 2018
555862
At a gamestop one day since lacrimosa was pretty cheap there otherwise, i'm still kinda newish to the falcom jrpgs but so far so good with getting into the games.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite Game

Verdale - Jul 16, 2012

7 by removed-user »»
Oct 29, 2023 4:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.
Sign Up Login